How much is the usual rate for UI/UX designers?
How much would it cost to hire UI/UX designers? We give a quick comparison of the different rates from four major countries. Rates are based on figures from ITJobsWatch, ZipRecruiter, Neuvoo, and PayScale.
|| Average UI/UX Designer Annual Salary
|| Average UI/UX Designer Hourly Rate
| United Kingdom
| United States
The high costs of hiring local UI/UX designers have resulted in businesses preferring to hire offshore instead. By hiring UI/UX designers offshore, businesses can reduce overall costs, and ultimately, grow their company. However, just like with any business partnership, finding the right outsourcing partner is necessary for a successful IT outsourcing experience.
One of the leading reliable outsourcing providers in the UK, the US, and abroad, Cloud Employee provides companies of all sizes and across industries a low-risk and affordable outsourcing solution. With us, hiring offshore UI/UX designers have now been made more accessible through our cost-effective offshore rates.
For more information about how much it would cost to hire UI/UX designers offshore, here’s an insightful guide about the standard offshore developer rates from various outsourcing locations.
What interview techniques should you use to hire the best UI/UX designers?
After posting for job ads, the next phase to hiring UI/UX designers is to properly evaluate their technical capabilities. To hire the best UI/UX designers, here are two interview methods that you can try.
Ask UI/UX candidates to discuss their most recent project
Require the candidates to discuss or illustrate how they developed their most recent application or project. By doing this, recruiters can determine two important aspects:
1) Recruiters can determine if a candidate indeed has the knowledge and experience he or she claims. Can the UI/UX designer explain the project in detail? Does the UI/UX designer know the different stages of UI/UX development? This will also give recruiters insight into how involved a candidate was in this project.
2) Recruiters can also see if a candidate possesses strong communication skills. As with any developer, these soft skills are important especially when they need to work with a team. Can the candidate clearly explain technical ideas? Would someone with no technical background understand it? Communication skills would be a very crucial skill to look for especially if you are looking to hire senior UI/UX designers who will be leading a team.
Conduct technical exams
It may come as a surprise that not every company runs technical exams when hiring UI/UX designers. However, every company should be able to conduct their won technical exams, to thoroughly assess candidates.
If your company does not know how to go about conducting these technical tests, you may use a free or paid online tests. When you want to hire the best UI/UX designers, look for someone who is not only adept in UI and UX development but also one who has strong creativity and critical thinking skills.
If a formal technical test isn’t possible, have candidates write 2-3 sample codes (consisting 5-10 lines of code) instead. This much could already be providing insight into a UI/UX designers expertise in the platform as well as their critical thinking abilities.
To give you an idea of preparing for a technical exam, here are sample coding tests as a reference. The examples below will be using HTML, one of the three main programming languages UI/UX designers should know.
Q: Give a sample HTML code structure.
<title>The title of your page</title>
<meta name="description" content="A description of your page">
<h1>Welcome to my website!</h1>
<p>This is where I'll put some content :)</p>
Q: How do you create a nested webpage in HTML?
<h2>HTML Iframes example</h2>
<p>Use the height and width attributes to specify the size of the iframe:</p>
<iframe src="https://www.javatpoint.com/" height="300" width="400"></iframe>
How can Cloud Employee help you?
At Cloud Employee, we bridge the gap between global startups and top-notch offshore developers. As a UK-managed IT outsourcing firm, we help you hire offshore UI/UX designers hassle-free with our simple recruitment process.
To start hiring with us, simply submit your requirements such as years of experience, required skills, and so on. Our dedicated team will then forward a shortlist of candidate CVs to you; from this list, you choose who moves on to interviews. We also offer free technical tests to ensure that the UI/UX designer you get fits your requirements.
Upon hiring, your offshore UI/UX designer will work during your business hours, reporting directly to you. They also use your tools and standards, making them an effective extension of your in-house team.
Meanwhile, Cloud Employee provides your offshore UI/UX designer with modern workspaces and facilities equipped with up-to-date hardware and software and fast internet connection. We also handle payroll, taxes, licensing requirements, and HR tasks so you can focus on managing and growing your business.
What is the dedicated hiring model?
Recommended for companies who plan to outsource their UI/UX, the dedicated hiring model is a popular outsourcing model that allows outsourcing parties to have close control over the hiring process. As a result, the model minimises communication issues usually faced when outsourcing UI/UX designers.
Aside from this, one of the model’s main benefits is its flexibility. Companies who outsource UI/UX designers can easily scale their offshore team or business at any point during a project’s development. Because of this, companies now have freedom over long-running contracts.
- Suitable for long-term projects with unclear requirements, as well as for short-term projects with clear details.
- Cost can be estimated even without definite project details.
- Best for companies or teams who would like to have direct communication and collaboration with their offshore UI/UX designer or team.
- The dedicated hiring model enables companies to closely monitor the offshore UI/UX designer or team’s progress and output quality.
- The offshore UI/UX designer becomes an effective extension of your in-house team as they exclusively work under your business processes, standards, and goals.
This model is highly suitable for teams or companies that:
- Choose to directly communicate with their offshore UI/UX designer
- Look for an affordable alternative for hiring UI/UX designers
- Would like to hire more UI/UX designers or other developers at any point during the project’s development
Integrating the advantages from the dedicated hiring model and Cloud Employee’s nearly 20 years of industry knowledge and experience in IT outsourcing, our dedicated team offers businesses from startups to huge tech firms around the world with a low-risk and affordable solution to hiring developers.
Cloud Employee’s unique dedicated developer model has been modified to adapt to the needs of modern businesses. Our team has minimised the long recruitment process, allowed productive working practices, and closed the tech talent gap—all for a cost-effective industry rate. Indeed, Cloud Employee takes pride in the fact that our business model can help solve the businesses’ tech hiring needs.