How to Hire the Best SQL Developer
When hiring SQL developers, recruiters or managers must, first, have a good background regarding the position and its responsibilities. Knowing what to look for can help companies hire the best SQL developers. This comprehensive guide for hiring SQL developers aims to answer questions that you might have.
What is SQL? Short for Structured Query Language, SQL (pronounced “ess-que-el”) is a specialised language used for databases. According to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), it is the standard language for relational database management systems. With SQL statements, developers can update or retrieve data in a database.
As such, an SQL developer is one creates, maintains, updates and troubleshoots a database and write SQL queries using SQL programs. Aside from basic operations, SQL developers also do complex tasks depending on what is required of them.
The most popular relational database management systems are:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Ingres, among others
Although these database systems use SQL, it also has its own additional extensions that are unique for each database system.
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, demand for SQL developers is expected to grow by 13% from 2016 to 2026 which is relatively faster than the average occupation.
Why should you hire an SQL developer?
For businesses, hiring skilled SQL developers can help your business database system organised and optimised. Hiring an SQL developer would mean hiring someone who can:
- Develop high-quality database solutions
- Develop, execute, and optimise functions and procedures using T-SQL
- Handle database procedures such as backup, recovery, migration, and upgrade, among others
- Ensure of the database’s overall performance, availability, and security
- Produce specifications and documentations
- Research the required data
- Provide regular management reports
- Recommend new queries
- Look into exceptions with regard to asset movements
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other members of the team
What technical skills should you look for when hiring SQL developers?
When hiring SQL developers, businesses must carefully evaluate the candidates’ knowledge and expertise in SQL programming and database management. Aside from finishing a degree in Computer Science, Software Development, IT or other related tech degrees, here are must-have SQL developer skills that you should look for:
- Strong understanding of T-SQL programming
- Good understanding of Microsoft SQL Server
- Familiar with functional programming such as Scala, Lisp, Clojure, OCaml, and Haskell
- Knowledge and experience with Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)
- Experience in using SQL Server Analysis Services and SQL Server Reporting Services
- Familiar with the practical application of NoSQL and NewSQL databases
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Team player with good communication and interpersonal skills
Why Hire Offshore SQL Developers With Cloud Employee