How to Hire the Best SQL Developer
When hiring SQL developers, recruiters or managers must, first, have a good background regarding the position and its responsibilities. Knowing what to look for can help companies hire the best SQL developers. This comprehensive guide for hiring SQL developers aims to answer questions that you might have.
What is SQL? Short for Structured Query Language, SQL (pronounced “ess-que-el”) is a specialised language used for databases. According to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), it is the standard language for relational database management systems. With SQL statements, developers can update or retrieve data in a database.
As such, an SQL developer is one creates, maintains, updates and troubleshoots a database and write SQL queries using SQL programs. Aside from basic operations, SQL developers also do complex tasks depending on what is required of them.
The most popular relational database management systems are:
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Ingres, among others
Although these database systems use SQL, it also has its own additional extensions that are unique for each database system.
According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, demand for SQL developers is expected to grow by 13% from 2016 to 2026 which is relatively faster than the average occupation.
Why should you hire an SQL developer?
For businesses, hiring skilled SQL developers can help your business database system organised and optimised. Hiring an SQL developer would mean hiring someone who can:
- Develop high-quality database solutions
- Develop, execute, and optimise functions and procedures using T-SQL
- Handle database procedures such as backup, recovery, migration, and upgrade, among others
- Ensure of the database’s overall performance, availability, and security
- Produce specifications and documentations
- Research the required data
- Provide regular management reports
- Recommend new queries
- Look into exceptions with regard to asset movements
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other members of the team
What technical skills should you look for when hiring SQL developers?
When hiring SQL developers, businesses must carefully evaluate the candidates’ knowledge and expertise in SQL programming and database management. Aside from finishing a degree in Computer Science, Software Development, IT or other related tech degrees, here are must-have SQL developer skills that you should look for:
- Strong understanding of T-SQL programming
- Good understanding of Microsoft SQL Server
- Familiar with functional programming such as Scala, Lisp, Clojure, OCaml, and Haskell
- Knowledge and experience with Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)
- Experience in using SQL Server Analysis Services and SQL Server Reporting Services
- Familiar with the practical application of NoSQL and NewSQL databases
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Team player with good communication and interpersonal skills
How much is the usual rate for SQL developers?
How much would it cost to hire SQL developers? Here’s a table comparing the different rates for SQL developers based on different Western countries. The following rates are according to figures from ITJobsWatch, Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Neuvoo, and PayScale.
|Average SQL Developer Annual Salary||Average SQL Developer Hourly Rate|
|United Kingdom||GBP 52,500||GBP 42.81|
|United States||USD 85,588||USD 29|
|Canada||CAD 105,000||CAD 53.85|
|Australia||AUS 98,846||AUS 65.62|
These high rates for local SQL developers have made business opt to hire offshore SQL developers instead. By hiring SQL developers offshore, businesses can effectively save more on costs while ensuring the growth of their company. However, as with any partnership, the key to a successful outsourcing experience if to find the right outsourcing partner.
As one of the UK’s reliable outsourcing providers, Cloud Employee offers startups and large firms across industries a convenient, risk-free and cost-effective outsourcing solution. With us, hiring offshore SQL developers has become more accessible due to our competitive industry offshore rates.
To know more about the cost of hiring SQL developers offshore, here’s a comprehensive guide about offshore developer rates from various outsourcing destinations.
What interview techniques should you use to hire the best SQL developer?
After receiving applications from candidates, the next step to hiring SQL developers is to test their technical skills by conduct a technical exam. To hire the best SQL developers, here are two interview methods that you can try.
Have SQL developers discuss their recent project
Ask the candidates to discuss or illustrate how their latest application was developed. With this question, employers can determine two important aspects:
1) Employers can determine if what a candidate says about his or her skills is true. Simply put, do they walk the talk? Can the SQL developer showcase his or her expertise in SQL development and database management? Letting the candidates discuss details of their project will allow employers to gain an insight into how involved they are with the project.
2) Employers can determine if a candidate has excellent communication skills. As with any type of developer, a good SQL developer must possess strong communication skills. During the presentation, try to see if they can properly explain technical concepts. Communication skills would be an important skill to look for especially if you are looking to hire senior SQL developers who will lead your team.
Conduct technical exams
Technical exams may have been a normal part of the recruitment process, however, not a lot of companies implement this when hiring developers. When hiring SQL developers, it is especially crucial to conduct a technical test before choosing to hire candidates. With technical exams, employers can gain valuable insight into an SQL developer’s true abilities. In turn, companies can lessen hiring costs and prevent the business from losing budget over a wrong hire.
To conduct a technical test, businesses may utilise a free or paid online programming test. If you want to hire the best SQL developers, check not only a person’s knowledge and ability in database management but also their capability to analyse and solve problems.
If it’s not possible for you to make use of an online exam, you may prepare your own exam according to your technical needs. To give you an idea of preparing for an SQL developers technical exam, here are sample questions and answers you may check as a reference.
Q: Identify what is wrong from this query.
SELECT subject_code, AVG (marks) FROM students WHERE AVG(marks) > 75 GROUP BY subject_code; The WHERE clause cannot be used to restrict groups. Instead, the HAVING clause should be used.
SELECT subject_code, AVG (marks) FROM students HAVING AVG(marks) > 75 GROUP BY subject_code;
Q: Briefly explain what is an SQL CASE statement used for and provide a sample code.
A: An SQL CASE statement allows developers to embed an if-else clause in the SELECT clause.
SELECT Employee_Name, CASE Location WHEN 'alex' THEN Bonus * 2 WHEN 'robin' THEN Bonus *, 5 ELSE Bonus END "New Bonus" FROM Cloud_employee;
Q: How do you send an email from the SQL database?
A: This is how to send an email from the database.
- Ensure that the SQL Server Mail account is properly configured and then enable Database Mail.
- Write the following script to send an email.
USE [YourDB] EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail @recipients = '[email protected]; [email protected];[email protected]’ @body = ' A warm wish for your future endeavor', @subject = 'This mail was sent using Database Mail' ; GO
Q: Using SQL, how do you convert seconds into a time format? Write the code.
SELECT TO_CHAR (TRUNC (2700/3600),’FM9900′) || ‘:’ || TO_CHAR (TRUNC (MOD (2700, 3600)/60),’FM00′) || ‘:’ || TO_CHAR (MOD (2700, 60),’FM00′) FROM DUAL;
Where 2700 is seconds.
Q: How do you get the number of weekends of the current month? Write the code.
SELECT count (*) AS Weekends FROM (SELECT TRUNC (SYSDATE,’mm’) +LEVEL-1 Current_dt FROM Dual CONNECT BY LEVEL <= last_day (SYSDATE) – TRUNC (SYSDATE,’mm’) +1 ) Where TO_CHAR (Current_dt,’dy’) IN (‘sat’,’sun’);
Q: How do make a remote connection in a database? Explain the steps needed.
To make a remote connection in a database, these the following steps to take:
- To enable the remote connection in a database, use the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration Tool
- Click on the Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections
- Click on the SQLEXPRESS/Database Engine/RemoteConnections
- Next, choose the radio button: Local and Remote Connections and click the ‘Using TCP/IP only’ under the Local and Remote Connections
- Lastly, click on the OK or Apply button.
Q: Write the syntax for the STUFF function in an SQL server.
STUFF (String1, Position, Length, String2) String1 - String to be overwritten Position - Starting location for overwriting Length - Length of substitute string String2- String to overwrite.
How can Cloud Employee help you?
At Cloud Employee, we connect global startups and tech firms to top-notch tech professionals from the Philippines. As a UK-managed IT outsourcing firm, we help you easily find and hire offshore SQL developers.
To start hiring offshore SQL developers with us, send your staffing requirements such as necessary skills, years of experience, and so on. Our recruitment team scouts for SQL developers who fit your needs. We then forward a shortlist of the best candidates, and from there, you select the candidates who you want to interview and do a free technical trial with. Our custom-recruitment process guarantees that you hire the offshore SQL developer you need.
Once hired, your offshore SQL developer will report directly to you and will work exclusively for you within your business hours. Your dedicated SQL developer works under your own standards and uses your preferred tools, making them an effective extension of your team.
Meanwhile, Cloud Employee ensures that your chosen offshore developer works in clean workspaces and modern facilities with up-to-date equipment, high-speed internet connection, and full IT support. In addition, we also handle back-office tasks such as licensing, permits, taxes, payroll, and HR tasks so you can focus on managing and growing your business.
Your offshore SQL developer can help you with database management systems, database backups and recovery, general database administration, and database performance. With Cloud Employee, you can hire offshore SQL developers with a broad range of skill sets including PL/SQL, MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL, Oracle, PHP, Python, Java, C#, cloud computing.
What is the dedicated hiring model?
Ideal for companies who would like to outsource their SQL database management, the dedicated hiring model is a flexible outsourcing model that enables outsourcing parties to have close control over the hiring process. As a result, the model effectively reduces issues in communication commonly experienced when outsourcing.
Aside from this, another main advantage of this model is its flexible nature. Companies who outsource SQL developers using this model can easily scale their business at any time during a project’s development. As a result, companies now have freedom over long-running contracts.
- Well-suited for long-term projects with unclear scope and details, as well as for short-term projects with complete requirements.
- The budget can be estimated even without a definite requirement.
- Best for businesses who prefer to directly communicate with their offshore SQL developer.
- The model enables businesses to closely and effectively monitor their offshore SQL developer’s progress and product quality.
- The offshore SQL developer becomes an effective extension of your in-house team as they primarily work under your company, processes, standards, and goals.
Combining the practicality of the dedicated hiring model and Cloud Employee’s 20 years of IT outsourcing knowledge and experience, our dedicated team offers businesses of all sizes across the globe with a hassle-free, low-risk and cost-effective alternative to hiring developers.
Cloud Employee’s own dedicated developer model has been modified to adapt to the needs of growing teams and businesses. Our model has minimised the tedious recruitment process, allowed better working practices, and closed the tech talent gap—all for a cost-effective industry rate. Indeed, Cloud Employee takes pride in the fact that our business model greatly helps businesses with their tech hiring needs.
WHY HIRE OFFSHORE SQL DEVELOPERS WITH CLOUD EMPLOYEE
- Access to the best tech talent in the Philippines
- End-to-end client control from custom-recruitment to direct developer management
- 100% Dedicated Developers working on mirrored working hours
- Full client support from our After Care Team
- Savings of up to 65% or more
"As an SME, the ability to implement and support a robust technical infrastructure and provide software development skill sets is key to our continued growth. It was a pivotal decision to outsource offshore as well as a significant investment for the business but given the passion and dedication of employees and staff at Cloud Employee, our greatest fear ‘if remote working can actually deliver results’ are being quickly ebbed away. The technical ability, delivery and quality of work were proven well within the first month of working with Cloud Employee."
Nick Walker, Pack Smart Ltd
"Finding reliable programmers with a passion for video games was difficult. Cloud Employee's quality of candidates, customer service, and contract terms are what most attracted me. Having been with them for 18 months now, I would be very happy to recommend them."
Des Gayle, Altered Gene
- SEE MORE